Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I've tried many. Some are good. Some are boring. Some are too hot! This one is great and not too hot. Add extra cayenne if you want it hot. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I add beans (personal preference). I usually double it and freeze it for more good meals on the run.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs lean ground chuck
- 1 lb ground lean pork
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 12 ounces beer
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried ancho chile powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons instant beef flavoring or 6 bouillon cubes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon louisiana hot sauce (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 teaspoon cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, brown half the meat; pour off fat. Remove meat.
- Brown remaining meat; pour off all fat except 2 tablespoons.
- Add onion, garlic; cook and stir until tender.
- Add meat and remaining ingredients except flour, cornmeal and warm water. Mix well.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer covered for 2 hours or the longer the better.
- Stir together flour and cornmeal; add warm water. Mix well. Stir into chili mixture.
- Cook covered 20 minutes longer.