Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
These veggie burgers with a Southwest flavor are served at the J. Paul Getty Museum Cafe, in Los Angeles.
- 3 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 hamburger buns
- salsa (optional)
- guacamole (optional)
- In a food processor, combine beans, onion, bell pepper, egg, bread crumbs and cilentro.
- Blend ingredients, adding additional bread crumbs if needed to make mixture dry enough to shape into patties.
- Form mixture into 8 patties.
- Patties can be made a day ahead and refrigerated to help them set well.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet, and fry four of the patties, about 2 minutes per side.
- Repeat with the remaining 4 patties.
- Place each patty in a toasted hamburger bun.
- Top with salsa and guacamole.