Recipe by Enjolinfam
The is a German casserole recipe made vegetarian given to me by my good German friend, Nicola Wieland. I'm thankful she took the time to translate this recipe for me. Enjoy!
Top Review by LakeMom534
This is SOOO good. Really hits all the right notes-creamy, salty and tangy. Vegetarian Boca sausage found in the freezer section of your local market provides a spicier version, but I like it with vegetarian hot-dogs or tofu dogs also from the freezer section -try Trader Joe's even some Wal-marts. Canned Worthington Hot dogs also work. If you don't have enough sour cream use Mushroom soup for part of it. YUM.
- 14 ounces sauerkraut, canned
- 800 g potatoes
- 1 (12 1/2 ounce) can vegetarian sausages (you can also use a larger can if you want more sausage in the casserole)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt, to taste
- 3 1⁄2 ounces sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the potatoes with the skins on them until they are cooked, but not too soft (maybe about 10-15 minutes).
- Skin the potatoes and cut in slices.
- Cut the sausages in long slices.
- In a pan heat the oil and cook the onion a few minutes, then add sauerkraut and seasoning. Saute for a couple more minutes then set aside.
- Spray 8x8 cooking dish with cooking spray and lay in alternating layers the potatoes, then sausages, then sourkraut.
- In a small bowl whip the sour cream with salt according to your taste and then pour/spread over the top.
- Bake it in the oven at medium heat for around a 1/2 hour.