Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
The is a German casserole recipe made vegetarian given to me by my good German friend, Nicola Wieland. I'm thankful she took the time to translate this recipe for me. Enjoy!
- Boil the potatoes with the skins on them until they are cooked, but not too soft (maybe about 10-15 minutes).
- Skin the potatoes and cut in slices.
- Cut the sausages in long slices.
- In a pan heat the oil and cook the onion a few minutes, then add sauerkraut and seasoning. Saute for a couple more minutes then set aside.
- Spray 8x8 cooking dish with cooking spray and lay in alternating layers the potatoes, then sausages, then sourkraut.
- In a small bowl whip the sour cream with salt according to your taste and then pour/spread over the top.
- Bake it in the oven at medium heat for around a 1/2 hour.
This is SOOO good. Really hits all the right notes-creamy, salty and tangy. Vegetarian Boca sausage found in the freezer section of your local market provides a spicier version, but I like it with vegetarian hot-dogs or tofu dogs also from the freezer section -try Trader Joe's even some Wal-marts. Canned Worthington Hot dogs also work. If you don't have enough sour cream use Mushroom soup for part of it. YUM.
This was an excellent meal. I'm afraid I lost the vegetarian part because I used kielbasa for the sausage. But it was wonderful that way. Thanks for a keeper recipe. Make for Aus/NZ Swap#20
This was really great. I didn't have "regular" vegetarian sausage, so I used soyrizo, soy chorizo. It has cumin in it, and a lot of other spice, but it was really good in this. I upped the amount of sour cream to about double when I made it too.