Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Paula Deen's version; serve warm or cold
Make and share this German Potato Salad II recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 tablespoon salt, divided
- 4 slices bacon
- 2⁄3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 2⁄3 cups mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons diced pimentos
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 hard-boiled egg, chopped
- sliced green onion, garnish
- In a stockpot, place potatoes; cover with cold water, add 2 teaspoons salt.
- Bring to a boil over med-high heat; decrease heat to a simmer, and cook for 7-8 minutes or just until fork tender; drain.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp.
- Remove bacon to paper towels to drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet.
- Crumble bacon, and set aside.
- Add onion and garlic to skillet; cook for 7 minutes or until tender, stirring often.
- Stir in mayonnaise, pimiento, mustard, vinegar, sugar, salt, celery seed, cayenne pepper, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt.
- Cook for 1 minute; remove from heat.
- Add potatoes, chopped egg, and crumbled bacon, tossing gently to coat.
- Serve warm or chilled; garnish with green onion.