1/1 Photo of German Potato Pancakes - Kartoffelpuffer
Posting for ZWT 6 for Germany. Recipe states: German potato pancakes are a real treat and something Germans miss when they move away. Eating freshly made potato pancakes with applesauce in the out-of-doors at a weekly market or carnival is a wonderful way to do indulge. Now, you can also make them at home with this simple recipe for potato pancakes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel and grate potatoes (or use frozen or refrigerated hashbrowns). Place the grated potatoes in a clean dishcloth or cheesecloth and squeeze the liquid out of them into a bowl. Let the liquid stand a few minutes, then drain the liquid, leaving potato starch at the bottom of the bowl. Add the potatoes.
- 2Grate the onion over the potatoes. Add dried onion flakes for part or all of the onion, if you like. Add salt, pepper, nutmeg and egg. Mix thoroughly.
- 3Heat oil in a frying pan. You can use a non-stick pan and just a few drops of oil, if you wish, but for best results use 1/8 to 1/4 inch of oil.
- 4Using about 1/2 cup, drop the potato mixture into hot oil and flatten with the back of a spoon. Fry 4-5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve hot with applesauce and maybe a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Potato Pancakes - Kartoffelpuffer
Serving Size: 1 (140 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 110.7
- Calories from Fat 11
- Total Fat 1.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 46.5 mg
- Sodium 461.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 4.0 g