Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This cold-weather favorite is sure to satisfy hearty appetites. I love the comforting, creamy texture of this cauliflower soup enriched with egg yolks and brightened with lemon juice. Adapted from the Take-Out Menu Cookbook.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cauliflower (about 1 small head)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, plus more as necessary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper, plus more as necessary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, plus more are necessary
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley, minced (or chives)
- Cut away the thick stem base of the cauliflower and trim the florets from the head. Wash the cauliflower under cold water and chop it into 1-inch pieces.
- In a 3-quart pot set over medium-high heat, melt the butter, then add the bacon and onion and cook until the onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the flour and cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in the stock and 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Add the cauliflower and turn the heat to medium-low. Simmer until the cauliflower is tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow the soup to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Puree half of the soup in a food processor or blender. Return the puree to the pot and add the milk, salt, white pepper, and nutmeg. Return to a simmer over medium heat, them remove from the heat.
- Beat the egg yolks in a heat-proof bowl. Ladle a cup of the hot soup into the yolks while whisking to temper the egg yolks. Repeat with another cup of the hot soup, then quickly stir the egg mixture back into the soup and stir for about 1 minute. Do not boil the soup or the eggs will curdle. Add the lemon juice, taste and adjust the seasonings, if necessary. Add the cayenne pepper and garnish with minced parsley or chives. Serve hot.
- The soup can be made 1 day in advance to the point of adding the eggs. Reheat the soup over medium heat and continue with the recipe.