Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is delicious! I am asked to make this pie for every family gathering. I'm posting it here so my family can easily find the recipe if they desire. I hope you enjoy it as much as they do. Let me know.
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 4 ounces German sweet chocolate
- 1⁄2 pint whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 dash salt
- Separate eggs and let come to room temperature.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer on med-low until frothy.
- Add cream of tartar.
- Increase mixer speed to med-high to high and continue beating until soft peaks form.
- Add sugar a little at a time.
- Add vanilla and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in pecans.
- Spread on bottom and up sides of a GREASED 9 inch pie plate.
- Bake for 1 hour at 300 degrees.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool on a rack.
- Melt German Chocolate in 3 TBLS water on LOW heat. Set aside to cool.
- Whip cream, adding sugar, salt and vanilla.
- Fold in melted chocolate last.
- Spoon mixture into cooled crust and chill for at least 2 hours before serving. Overnight is best.
After the first time, this is an easy pie to make, because you see how simply the ingredients go together. My mom used to make a similar one, and I am delighted to add this to my repetoire again. So very delicious.