Posted for ZWT6 German Region. I found this on a Authentic German Foods recipe site. I did find it interesting to learn that the word "Bundt" comes from the German word "Bund" which literally means "gathering of people". Isn't that sweet?? This is a versatile recipe in that it is good for a breakfast treat, pack in a lunch, take on a picnic or serve as a dessert after dinner.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease and flour a Bundt pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the diced apples, 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoons cinnamon; set aside. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups sugar, oil, apple juice, vanilla, and eggs. Beat at high speed until smooth. Stir in flour mixture. Fold in chopped walnuts and apple mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350F for 55 to 60 minutes, or until cake is firm, well browned, and begins to pull away from pan edges. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- Good sprinkled with confectioners' sugar before slicing and serving.
A grand recipe!! Made it this afternoon and had a warm slice. I will give at least 3/4 of it to my neighbors who have relatives visiting, as the 2 of us can't possibly finish it off. (Well, I could try. LOL) I did add double the cinnamon as we love it so. I may also try pecans next time. Great flavor, thanks for posting, HokiesLady. Made by a Red Hottie for ZWT6.
My Mom has been making this cake for over 40 years since she got it from my Dad's German employee's wife after she (the wife from Germany) came by for dinner one night and brought one with her. She gave the recipe to my Mom and she (my Mom) makes it all the time. The only difference is the recipe we have came with raisins instead of apples. It is phenomenal and I can vouch it is authentically German.
The WOW factor of this cake is thru the roof. IT is one of the best cake of its kind I ever tasted. It is also extremely easy to make. I added a little extra cinnamon and I tthink it was the right move. I will do this again for the hollidays. I can't wait.