1/1 Photo of General Yinzer's Chicken
So, I decided to tweak my usual General Tso's, but mainly I changed a few things around because I didn't have everything that I usually use. I the course of making it, I used Heinz Malt Vinegar, which is a Pittsburgh Favorite, hence "Yinzer" in the name. It has a tangy yet sweet flavor with the malt vinegar coming through with every bite. I serve it over rice with broccoli. Mmmmmmm.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup Heinz ketchup
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup malt vinegar (Heinz, of course!)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon powdered ginger
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 4 drops sesame oil
- 2/3 cup cold water
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk, in a med. bowl
- 3/4 cup cornstarch, in a med. bowl
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1Combine all ingredients in saucepan EXCEPT water and corn starch and heat over Med High, stirring to mix.
- 2In measuring cup, thoroughly mix the cold water with the cornstarch.
- 3After the mixture in the saucepan starts to bubble, SLOWLY whisk in cornstarch mix until completely mixed.
- 4Once sauce starts to thicken, remove from heat, and stir to ensure uniform texture.
- 5Fill a large pot or skillet to 1.5" with Vegetable oil.
- 6Heat oil to 375°.
- 7Cut the chicken into 1-1.5" pieces and then place in bowl of milk.
- 8Once oil is hot and chicken has soaked for 5 minutes, use a fork to take chicken and dip to coat it with cornstarch.
- 9Drop in oil and cook until chicken is done (hardened and slightly browned), about 2 minutes. If unsure, break a piece open and check for doneness and adjust time accordingly.
- 10Once all chicken is cooked, put in a large bowl and pour sauce over the chicken and toss to coat thoroughly.
- 11Serve over rice, and even add broccoli if so inclined.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for General Yinzer's Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (471 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 844.8
- Calories from Fat 203
- Total Fat 22.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 118.1 mg
- Sodium 1032.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 120.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 88.3 g
- Protein 39.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rice wine vinegar