Weight Watchers General Tso's Chicken
photo by V.A.718
- Ready In:
- 3⁄4 cup canned reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 2 medium scallions, chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes or 1 dried chili, minced
- 1 lb uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups cooked white rice, kept hot
- In a medium bowl, whisk together broth, cornstarch, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and ginger; set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add scallions, garlic and pepper and cook 2 minutes. Add chicken and cook until browned all over, about 5 minutes.
- Add reserved sauce and simmer until sauce thickens and chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Serve chicken and sauce over rice. Yields about 1 cup of chicken and sauce and 1/2 cup of rice per serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is a little different than General Tso's chicken, but it was absolutely delicious. Am trying to make every dish a little healthier lately and was not expecting such a great flavor in such a simple to make dish. <br/>I didn't change any ingredients, but did cut the sugar down to 1 1/2 T., but after eating it, I think next time I will only use 1 T. (I don't think we will miss the extra sweetness, and it saves a few calories.)<br/>I also almost doubled the chicken broth because the sauce got very thick quickly, and we like ours not quite so "gelatinous", if that is a word.....?? <br/>Any recipe that makes my family go back for seconds is 5 stars in my book.<br/>Next time I will add water chestnuts, green pepper strips, and some asparagus.<br/>Donna<br/>.
This was really good. I don't usually eat it from restaurants but my husband does & said it was very good. The spice was just right for me. It was very simple to make and will definitely make again. I used sesame oil becuase I had it on hand & didn't want to spend $5 on the peanut oil. I served it on lo main noodles but won't again, just becuase the WW pts are double what the white rice was. It was tasty but if you're watching points...It's only 4 pts if you take the rice out of the recipe.
see 156 more reviews
W-O-W! I would give this 10 stars! This is soooo so good!I absolutely loved it! Thanks for the wonderful recipe! I'll definitely be eating this often. MY husband loved it, and my 19 month old ate more than I did! Mmmm can't wait to have this again! I didn't change anything except I used vegetable broth (only 15 calories per 1c), and I used arrowroot starch instead of cornstarch (also a little lower in calories).. This would also be wonderful as a vegetarian meal! You could use tofu, or just a mixture of different stir fry vegetables (or both), yum!
see 4 more tweaks
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
SoCal transplant who pulled up her roots and moved alllllllllll the way to TN!