From Shrinking Kitchen/ Lightly breaded with lower sodium and fat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 4 garlic cloves (sliced)
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger (grated)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 lb broccoli (blanched)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1Step by step.
- 2Prepare rice according to package instructions.
- 3Blanch (slightly steam) the broccoli. It should still be fairly crisp.
- 4In a small bowl, prepare the sauce by whisking together 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and the water first, then add the chicken broth, garlic, ginger, honey, soy sauce and pepper flakes.
- 5Adjust the pepper flakes to your taste. I used only 1/2 tablespoon so my kids could eat it.
- 6Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok over medium high heat.
- 7In another small bowl, mix the remaining 3 tablespoons of cornstarch, salt and pepper.
- 8Throw the chicken pieces into the cornstarch mixture and toss to coat.
- 9Working in batches, brown the chicken in the oil.
- 10Once all the chicken is browned, put it all back into the skillet.
- 11Add the broccoli and the sauce.
- 12Cook over for a few minutes more until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is thickened.
- 13Serve the chicken and broccoli mixture over rice.
- 14Garnish with green onion and sesame seeds if desired.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for General Tso's Chicken (Take out Fakeout)
Serving Size: 1 (450 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 393.3
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 72.6 mg
- Sodium 748.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 10.9 g
- Protein 31.6 g