Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is always a hit if I have dinner guests who like shrimp. It's simple, but with a wonderful taste -- another great recipe from Canadian Living. I typically serve it with fresh bread, small steaks, salad, and I'll do roast potatoes if I have a guest who I know doesn't like seafood. Note: if you don't have the steaks, expect this to only serve 4; it's that good.
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 14 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 (750 g) package spaghetti (about 1-1/2 lbs)
- 2⁄3 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- Because this recipe is simple, it all depends on quality; don't skimp on any of the ingredients-- use good quality extra-virgin olive oil, fresh shrimp, fresh parsley, etc.
- And, yes, you read it right-- 14 cloves of garlic.
- Also note that you're not going to actually consume all that olive oil, a lot of it will pool into the bottom of the serving bowl-- of course, if you want to sop that lovely garlicky oil up with fresh bread, who am I to stop you!
- First, have everything ready-- shrimp peeled, parsley and garlic chopped, etc.
- Next, put a LARGE pot of water on, add about 2 tbsp salt to it, and get it on the heat to boil.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat oil over low heat and cook the garlic, salt and pepper flakes, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes or until the garlic is golden, but NOT browned.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add the shrimp; stirfry for about 3 minutes or until the shrimp have turned a light pink; don't overcook or the shrimp will be tough.
- Meanwhile, your spaghetti should be cooked al dente; drain it well then return to the pot.
- Pour the shrimp mixture over the cooked spaghetti, add the chopped parsley, and toss well.
- Serve immediately in a large, pre-warmed, shallow serving bowl.
this was the first italian recipe i tried out & it turned out great.it was quite easy to make.i added some bellpepper,parmesan cheese & extra red pepper flakes when i made it.
I haven't tried this exact recipe yet however anything with garlic wins top billing with me. I have however created this almost exactly in a cold version but included red wine vinegar.
Mighty fine! Used 1/2 cup olive oil, 10 large cloves garlic, 1 lb shrimp and 1 lb spaghettini. Didn't have the parsley. We love garlic but we found this to be a bit overpowering. Next time will use the full amount of oil and maybe half the garlic amount. Definitely a keeper.