Recipe by Carol Bullock
A savory dish for the holidays. Always a winner.
Top Review by Foodie for life!
Defrickinlicious!!! love, love, loved it! I am trying to be vegan 5 days a week, and could make this every week. The gravy recipe could be halved or quartered, it makes too much, unless you are saving some to eat with your Thanksgiving turkey, but that's not vegan is it? lol
- 6 large baking potatoes
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups soymilk
- 6 tablespoons soy margarine
- 1⁄2 cup nutritional yeast (optional)
- 6 tablespoons margarine
- 1 medium onion
- 6 tablespoons flour (whole wheat pastry flour is good)
- 1 1⁄4 cups finely ground cashews
- 4 cups vegetarian chicken broth
- 5 tablespoons tamari (I use Braggs Liquid Aminos) or 5 tablespoons soy sauce (I use Braggs Liquid Aminos)
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and dice the potatoes and then boil until they are soft.
- Heat oil over medium heat in small pan.
- Saute the garlic for about 30 seconds.
- Add the soy milk and reduce to a simmer.
- Keep this mixture warm until the potatoes are cooked.
- Mash the potatoes in a large bowl.
- Add the margarine, and then add the soy milk mixture and nutritional yeast and mix until creamy.
- For the gravy, saute the onions in margarine until golden.
- Stir in the flour and cashews and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the broth gradually, whisking constantly to form a smooth mix.
- Add the soy sauce, garlic and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, and then turn down heat and simmer until thick.
- Puree in the blender until smooth.