Recipe by DancesInGarden
This is a quick and easy sauce made from pantry ingredients that tastes more complex than it is. Serve over chicken cutlets or mashed potatoes, or toss with hot cooked pasta. Wonderful with sliced sauteed chicken over spaghetti, hot cooked shrimp or seafood mix over linguini, or pork cubes and spaetzle. Also excellent served over penne and steamed broccoli. Makes a good base for chicken casseroles in place of "cream of" soup from a can. Increase the garlic to your taste and feel free to add a pinch of cayenne or red pepper flakes.
Top Review by Mia in Germany
Yum! Easy, and total comfort food! I used sweet rice flour and cornstarch for gluten free and goat's milk and butter for cow's milk free, and it worked wonderfully. We had this with chicken and zucchini and loved the garlicky flavour. Thanks for sharing!<br/>Made for PAC Spring 2014
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon powder
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lemon wedge
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and saute until fragrant and slightly brown, but don't let it get overly browned or burnt.
- Add flour and whisk to combine (this makes a roux).
- Cook and whisk the roux for a minute or so. You want it blonde, not brown.
- Mix the bouillon powder, hot water, and milk.
- Pour all at once in a thin stream into the roux, whisking all the while to avoid lumps. Keep whisking! It may look lumpy but if you keep whisking it will smooth out.
- Bring to a bubble, and allow to bubble until thickened.
- Squeeze the wedge of lemon over top (watch for seeds!).
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.