Recipe by Cinnamon Turtle
Here in Georgia we hardly recognize breakfast without a side of hot, buttered grits. Here, with the addition of garlic and cheddar they look more like dinner. This casserole is great for brunch or a casual supper.
- 1 cup grits (preferably stone-ground)
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- 1 dash cayenne
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 eggs, separated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Lightly grease a 1 1/2 quart souffle dish.
- Bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepan, whisk in the grits. Simmer, covered until liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Stir in the cheese, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, saute the onion and garlic in butter for 5-8 minutes until soft. Stir the onion mixture into the grits. Beat in the egg yolks.
- Whip the egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold them into the grits.
- Gently turn the mixture into the prepared dish. Bake 45-50 minutes until lightly browned. Serve hot.