1/1 Photo of Garden Tortilla Soup
Sue Lau's Note:
A delectable soup with the flavors of the southwest. The roasted red pepper may seems daunting but it is a very simple and easy task and smells and tastes wonderful. All the flavors come together with the red pepper and the corn, and although this soup serves 8-10, you may find yourself serving less people when you are wanting more for yourself...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 red sweet bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium zucchini, quartered and diced
- 1 (49 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons mild chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- 1/2 lime, juice of
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 corn tortillas, quartered and sliced into thin strips
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- tortilla chips (optional)
- 1Preheat broiler and line baking pan with aluminum foil; broil red pepper on all sides until black and charred then place in a bowl under plastic wrap to cool and rest for 15 minutes.
- 2Remove charred skin from red pepper; discard core; chop pepper and set aside.
- 3In a deep pot heat oil and saute onion and garlic until onion is transparent; add zucchini and cook for 30 seconds more.
- 4Add broth, chili powder, cumin, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chopped green chilies, Worcestershire sauce and roasted red pepper to the pot, bringing to a boil before lowering heat and covering pot.
- 5Simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add black beans, sweet corn, lime juice, cilantro, and tortilla strips and simmer 10 minutes more.
- 6Serve garnished with cheese and tortilla chips, if desired.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Garden Tortilla Soup
Serving Size: 1 (405 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 202.9
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 784.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.2 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 11.5 g