1/4 Photos of Garden Club Lemon Bars
This is my favorite lemon bars recipe, which I originally copied out of my mother's old Garden Club cookbook, hence the name. I have been making this recipe since I was a little girl and I have always loved it. I have made these so many times over the years and have not really ever felt the need to improve on it. However, when I was a girl I did used to use dried bottled lemon zest(yikes), since I wasn't allowed to use the razor sharp grater. I use the real thing now that I am an adult. I have to admit that I do still usually use the bottled RealLemon lemon juice rather than fresh to this day - in fact, I buy it specifcally for these bars. There is something very nostalgic to me about that green jar of bottled juice, that it just doesn't seem fitting to use anything else. :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs or 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten with a fork until foamy
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (psst -I use bottled lemon juice in this most often)
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Combine crust ingredients until mixture resembles crumbs using a pastry blender or a couple of butter knives.
- 3Press into a greased and floured 8" square glass baking pan using your fingers- press it so that the entire bottom of the pan is covered evenly.
- 4Bake partially for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven.
- 5While the crust is prebaking, combine the filling ingredients and pour over the warm crust.
- 6Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned- do not overbake.
- 7Let cool completely.
- 8Once cool, sift powdered sugar over the top- you may need more or less to taste.
- 9I like mine to look like they've been covered with a snow.
- 10Slice into bars and serve.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Garden Club Lemon Bars
Serving Size: 1 (573 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 123.5
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 36.6 mg
- Sodium 20.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 13.2 g
- Protein 1.6 g