Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a very thick, rich, and hearty vegetable soup originally seen on the Passionate Homemaking blog.
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup potato, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup cauliflower, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup broccoli, diced
- 3 cups broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, chredded
- In a stock pot, saute green pepper and onion in butter until tender.
- Add vegetables, broth, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Combine flour and milk and stir slowly into soup.
- Allow to thicken at a low temperature.
- Add spices, and stir in cheddar until melted.
- Serve immediately or allow to cool and store in the freezer for OAMC.
This soup was a great way to use up the veggies in the fridge and give us a warm bowl of soup and the beach (the wind made it chilly). I would definately make this again. Thank you for posting. Made for Zaar Cookbook Tag game.
Just as described.... very thick and full of veggies! I made this as written, but pureed about 1/3 of the soup (just my preference). It was absolutely delicious. This is the type of recipe that comes in handy when you have leftovers from a party-sized raw veggie tray. Thanx for posting!