Recipe by SReiff
Comfort food? You got it! The secret to this recipe is the evaporated milk! This is several recipes combined to make one yummy soup!! I use my own home-grown and frozen corn (about 2 1/2 c.) and cream only about half of it...but, the frozen creamed corn from your grocer's freezer or canned creamed corn are great too! Sometimes I use a little seasoning salt instead of just salt to add a bit more flavor. Enjoy!
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely onions
- 3 cups potatoes, diced
- 1 cup water
- 1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 packets ham, flavored concentrate Goya
- 3⁄4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- salt and pepper, to taste
- chopped parsley (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In 3-quart saucepan melt butter.
- Add chopped onion and sauté until onion is clear, stirring occasionally.
- Add potatoes, water.
- Cover, bring to boil, lower heat and cook until tender about 10-20 minutes.
- Add corn, half and half, evaporated milk, ham flavoring packets, cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon, Old Bay seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Heat, stirring frequently until chowder bubbles slightly.
- If desired, garnish bowls of chowder with chopped parsley.