Recipe by StevenHB
My father made six of these cakes and had them professionally decorated to serve at my Bar Mitzvah. My favorite chocolate cake.
Top Review by Hollyism
My mom used to make this cake all the time when I was a kid! It was my absolute favorite and I always requested it for my birthday. After finding it on Recipezaar (coincidentally right before my birthday) I requested that my husband and kids make it for me - wow, did that bring back memories! It was just as I remembered it - moist and delicious! Thanks for the memories!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 4 ounces chocolate, unsweetened,melted
- 1 chocolate icing, for fudge ribbon cake (Chocolate Icing for Fudge Ribbon Cake)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cream 2 tablespoons of butter with cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar and cornstarch.
- Add 1 egg, 2 tablespoons milk, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Beat at high speed of mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Grease and flour bottom of 13x9" pan.
- Combine flour with 2 cups sugar, salt, baking powder and soda in a large mixing bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup butter and 1 cup milk.
- Blend well at lowest speed of mixer.
- Beat 90 seconds at low speed (or 225 strokes with a spoon).
- Add 1/3 cups milk, 2 eggs, chocolate and 1 teaspoon vanilla; continue beating 90 seconds at low speed.
- Spread half of chocolate batter in pan.
- Spoon cheese mixture over batter, spreading carefully to cover.
- Top with remaining batter; spreading to cover.
- Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes until cake springs back when touched lightly in center.
- Cool cake and ice.