Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Johnny Cash was my husband's cousin and I was lucky enough to obtain a cookbook of Johnny's mother's recipes titled, "Favorite Recipes From Mama Cash's Kitchen." I've been asked to post some of the recipes from the book and this is one of them.
- margarine, 1 cube (I have no idea how much a cube is, but that's what the recipe says)
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Bring to a boil the margarine, water, shortening and cocoa; set aside to cool.
- In another bowl, combine flour and sugar.
- When chocolate mixture has cooled, add the eggs, baking soda, cinnamon, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Bake in greased and floured pan in 350 degree oven until done.***I have no idea how long that might be.
This is a great chocolate cake with a little something extra from the cinnamon. I really enjoyed it. I used 1 stick of butter and baked it in a 13x9 inch baking pan for about 22 minutes.
I have a recipe for a sheet cake that is almost like this - except for the shortening and cinnamon. It calls for 1 stick of butter to be used.
I asked my Mom how much a cube was because her parents owned a little country grocery store during the depression. She thinks since it is a cake it is a stick. But says in some recipes it could be a tablespoon. They would sell it by the tablespoon during the depression.