Recipe by mailbelle
Johnny Cash was my husband's cousin and I was lucky enough to obtain a cookbook of Johnny's mother's recipes titled, "Favorite Recipes From Mama Cash's Kitchen." I've been asked to post some of the recipes from the book and this is one of them.
Top Review by Chef Jean
This is a great chocolate cake with a little something extra from the cinnamon. I really enjoyed it. I used 1 stick of butter and baked it in a 13x9 inch baking pan for about 22 minutes.
- margarine, 1 cube (I have no idea how much a cube is, but that's what the recipe says)
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring to a boil the margarine, water, shortening and cocoa; set aside to cool.
- In another bowl, combine flour and sugar.
- When chocolate mixture has cooled, add the eggs, baking soda, cinnamon, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Bake in greased and floured pan in 350 degree oven until done.***I have no idea how long that might be.