Recipe by gpotts5626
For a great cooking class I attended in Morton, Illinois.
Top Review by karen
I really enjoyed this dish. I don't know how much my green beens weighed, but there were enough for 4 people to have a large serving. I used the full amount of everything else and it was really tasty. I steamed my beans, and they took longer than 5 minutes to get them soft enough, but it's worth the extra time to keep the nutrition from boiling away.
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 -4 lbs fresh green beans
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large onions
- 1⁄2 cup mixed herbs (you decide)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add a pinch of salt and the beans. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- While water is boiling, thinly slice both onions.
- Melt the butter and olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add onions and kosher salt and pepper.
- Allow the onions to caramelize for around 20-25 minutes.
- Add herbs and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add green beans and walnuts; mix well.
- Heat for an additional 2 minutes and serve.