Recipe by M Messer
I have a wonderful recipe for frying yellow squash - as follows
Top Review by Robin Teshon
This is a good one to get picky eaters to eat. From my husband down to my 3 kids (ages 13, 12,and 5) they all love it. The only difference that I do to this recipe is I use whole milk sometimes. It works just as great and works in a pinch if you don't have buttermilk on hand. Even though I believe the buttermilk method is better myself. My grandma and mom made it that way and it reminds me of them and home everytime I make it.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- vegetable oil, to a 1-inch depth heated until just before smoking
- 1 yellow squash, cut in 1/8 " - 1/4-inch slices
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak squash in buttermilk to cover, at least 5 minutes.
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Dredge marinated squash in cornmeal mixture (I use a Ziploc baggie & shake until covered).
- Fry in vegetable oil until golden, turn and fry until lightly golden on other side.
- Salt lightly, remove from oil, & drain on paper towels.
- This is delicious - also works for fried green tomatoes (cut green tomatoes at least 1/4" slices).
- If you like fried okra - batter should be 1 cup milk + 1 egg.
- Dredge in same mixture as above & salt as you do for squash & drain on paper towels.