Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
I have a wonderful recipe for frying yellow squash - as follows
Make and share this Fried Yellow Squash recipe from Food.com.
- Soak squash in buttermilk to cover, at least 5 minutes.
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Dredge marinated squash in cornmeal mixture (I use a Ziploc baggie & shake until covered).
- Fry in vegetable oil until golden, turn and fry until lightly golden on other side.
- Salt lightly, remove from oil, & drain on paper towels.
- This is delicious - also works for fried green tomatoes (cut green tomatoes at least 1/4" slices).
- If you like fried okra - batter should be 1 cup milk + 1 egg.
- Dredge in same mixture as above & salt as you do for squash & drain on paper towels.
This is a good one to get picky eaters to eat. From my husband down to my 3 kids (ages 13, 12,and 5) they all love it. The only difference that I do to this recipe is I use whole milk sometimes. It works just as great and works in a pinch if you don't have buttermilk on hand. Even though I believe the buttermilk method is better myself. My grandma and mom made it that way and it reminds me of them and home everytime I make it.
I used Greek yogurt to soak them in and it was amazing! Also used Jiffy corm bread mix instead of cornmeal, Melted in your mouth.
I didn't have any buttermilk so I used one cup of milk 1 T. cider vinegar, which gave this a really nice flavor. I also fried up some sliced green tomatoes and some overgrown green beans using this method. We loved it! I loved that I didn't need a big pot of oil to fry these....I used just about 1/2 to 3/4 inch in my medium frying pan. Thanks!