Prep 15 mins
Cook 26 mins
My DH claims he doesn't like white rice only brown. So of course, when I bought and cooked brown rice, he couldn't figure out what was wrong with it? So when he told me he only liked the brown rice with the egg in it, I realized that he did indeed like white rice, but fried white rice. This recipe is from my DD's culinary school with some additions. I have added approximate times and rewritten the directions.
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon garlic (minced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup onion (diced small)
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper (diced small)
- 1⁄4 cup carrot (diced small)
- 2 scallions (greens, chopped)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup hoisin sauce
- 12 ounces white rice (cooked)
- Beat eggs with 1 tablespoon oil and salt. (Set aside).
- In large skillet saute onions until translucent, carrots and bell peppers until tender with remaining oil stirring frequently on medium heat for about 15 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute for an additional minute.
- Add rice and mix well.
- Add soy sauce, egg and scramble until egg is dry approximately an additional 10 minutes or to desired doneness.
- Add hoison sauce, mix throughly and cook for an additional minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Add scallions and serve. Yum!
Best. Fried rice. EVER. It's nice to know a non-hawaiian fried rice (because they love their bacon...) when I want something different... <br/>Only dealio is that I used brown rice--it's all we have here.
Tasty, quick and easy along with being healthy too. Has everything I'm looking for in a recipe. I found that the ingredients were cooked a lot sooner than stated in the recipe. Bonus!! I didn't have Hoisin Sauce but replaced this with Black Bean Sauce which worked well. I was also out of Scallions so added a handful of peas for colour. Thoroughly enjoyed by myself, DH and 5 yr old GS. Made for Aussie / Kiwi Swap Nov 2013.
Great fried rice. I liked the addition of hoisin sauce instead of just all soy sauce. Easy recipe to follow. I added about 1/8 cup sliced, toasted almonds, which gave the rice a nice crunch. Liked you story in the description about your DH. :) Made for Spring 2013 PAC game.