Recipe by 4-H Mom
This recipe came from a favorite cookbook of mine. If you want a different kind of dessert, then this is it.
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- 3 cups fine corn flake crumbs
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 egg whites
- oil (for deep frying)
- 1 cup whipped cream
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 8 maraschino cherries
Directions See How It's Made
- Scoop ice cream into 8 balls, using about 1/2 cup per ball. Freeze until firm, about 1 hour.
- In a shallow dish, combine crumbs and cinnamon.
- In another shallow dish, beat egg whites with fork until foamy.
- Roll ice cream balls in egg whites, then crumb mixture, covering ice cream completely to avoid leakage during frying.
- Roll in egg whites and crumbs a second time, if necessary to cover completely.
- Freeze until firm, 3 to 4 hours.
- In a deep fryer or heavy saucepan, heat oil to 375 degrees.
- Using basket or slotted spoon, fry ice cream balls 1 or 2 at a time for 10 to 15 seconds or until golden brown.
- Drain quickly on paper towels. Return to freezer while frying remaining ice cream balls. Serve immediately with whipped cream, honey and cherries.