Recipe by SouthernBell2627
This recipe is from marthawhite.com. Sounds scrumptious! Yummy!
Top Review by *Parsley*
Yummmmmmy! I especially loved that horseradish sauce....it's the perfect sauce for fried green tomatoes. I did some extra horseradish, just because I love it. It's very important not to raise the heat above medium high, or the butter will begin to brown/burn. If you have green tomatoes in your garden, treat yourself to this! Thanx!
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise or 2 tablespoons salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 -4 green tomatoes
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal, mix
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In small bowl, combine all sauce ingredients; mix well. Cover and refrigerate.
- Slice tomatoes about 3/8-inch thick. Sprinkle lightly with salt. In shallow dish, beat egg white with fork. Place corn meal mix on plate or in shallow dish.
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Dip tomatoes in egg mixture, then in corn meal mix to coat. Add tomato slices to skillet in single layer.
- Cook over medium-high heat until golden brown; turn and cook until browned on other side.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients, adding butter as needed.
- Serve warm with Horseradish Sauce.