1/7 Photos of Fried Green Tomatoes
this is the first year i planted a garden here in pa. it was essentially herbs, but i threw in 2 tomato plants and one pepper plant, now this late in the season i am left with many green tomatoes. this recipe is courtesy of tyler florence, and worked perfectly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 large unripe tomatoes, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices,ends removed
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- hot pepper sauce, for serving
- lemon wedge, for serving
- 1In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, garlic powder, and cayenne together.
- 2Pour the buttermilk into a separate bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- 3Dip the tomatoes in the buttermilk and then dredge them in the cornmeal mixture, coating both sides well.
- 4Place a large cast iron skillet over medium heat and coat with the oil.
- 5When the oil is hot, pan-fry the tomatoes (in batches if necessary) until golden brown and crispy on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- 6Carefully remove the tomatoes and drain on paper towels.
- 7Serve with hot pepper sauce and lemon.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fried Green Tomatoes
Serving Size: 1 (246 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 568.4
- Calories from Fat 294
- Total Fat 32.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 11.3 mg
- Sodium 118.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 10.7 g