Recipe by NELady
From The Well-Filled Tortilla Cookbook by Victoria Wise & Susanna Hoffman. Includes 6 chili peppers, radish & garlic, is is "zippy". You can reduce the amount of chili if you would like your less hot and spicy. Once chopped and mixed together, its consistency should be like a wet salad with enough liquid to cover the vegetables. If you can't get the chilies called for, substitute 2 ounces mixed chili peppers - whatever is available.
- 2 jalapeno peppers, stemmed
- 2 serrano chili peppers, stemmed
- 2 yellow wax chili peppers, stemmed
- 3 radishes, trimmed
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed (green onions) or 1⁄2 medium onion
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 cup cilantro leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2-1 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Coarsely chop the chili peppers, radishes, garlic, scallions, tomatoes, and cilantro in a food processor or with a chef's knife. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the salt, tomato paste, and water. Stir to mix well. Use right away or cover and refrigerate for up to 10 days.
- TIPS: If you are using a food processor to chop the vegetables, be sure not to overprocess them. The pieces in Fresh Tomatoe Salsa should be coarse and chunky, not minced. How much water you add depends on how full and juicy the tomatoes are. If they are soft and ripe, 1/2 cup water is enough, but if they are very firm, add more, up to 1 cup or so.