Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Most fresh strawberry pies call for a regular pie pastry or a graham cracker crust. This crust is similar to shortbread and complements the fresh strawberries wonderfully! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! My mom would make this pie every summer, and it was gone before you could blink, it's THAT good!
- Pre-heat oven to 375.
- Mix together crust ingredients til crumbly, and press into a 10" pie plate with floured fingers.
- Bake empty crust in pre-heated oven for 12-15 minutes, (until very lightly browned on edges).
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- While the crust is cooling, make the glaze by mixing together the dry ingredients in a pot, then add the boiling water, and cook until the glaze is thickened and clear.
- (I use a whisk and stir constantly) Remove the glaze from heat.
- Add the butter and stir into the glaze until melted.
- Cool the glaze.
- While the glaze is cooling, if your crust is cool enough, add your sliced strawberries to the crust.
- When the glaze is cool, pour it over the sliced strawberries in the pie crust, and chill completely in the fridge until the glaze sets firmly.
Simple, pleasing to the eye. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.
I made this for a family get together and the next time we got together it was requested again. However, the second time I made it I spread cream cheese on the crust before filling it with strawberries. YUM!! I have a recipe for strawberry pie that has been the family favorite but I think this one is taking it's place.
I am just making my second pie from this recipe now. I love the shortbread crust mainly because it is so simple. I think it has good flavor too, but not that much different from a regular pie crust. I did have a problem with it sticking. I used a glass pie plate. I think next time I should use a non stick or grease with cooking spray. Anyway I love this recipe and will use this always as my strawberry pie recipe. Thanks!