Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
From a fundraiser cookbook, this one dosen't have jello in it.
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, washed and hulled
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 9 inches pie shells, baked
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Select about 1 cup of choicest berries and set aside for garnish. Crush remaining berries with water.
- Mix together sugar and cornstarch; add to crushed berries.
- Place mixture in double boiler (not aluminum) and cook until clear and thick, about 15-20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Add salt and butter.
- Spread cream cheese in bottom of pie shell.
- Slice and add half the berries that were set aside for garnish.
- Pour cooled strawberry mixture over them in shell.
- Arrange the remaining whole berries on top and chill.
- Just before serving, garnish with whipped cream flavored with powdered sugar and vanilla.