Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
Don’t throw those delicious fresh papaya seeds out! Make this wonderful dressing with them. :) I have also dried papaya seeds and used them chopped or crushed in recipes. They’re very good for the digestion and have a slight peppery flavor.
- 1 tablespoon fresh papaya seeds
- 1⁄2 small onion
- 1⁄4 cup raspberry vinegar (or other try other flavors)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- In a food processor, whir together the papaya seeds and onion until finely chopped.
- Add the vinegar, sugar, salt, and mustard and pulse 3 or 4 times.
- With the processor running, gradually add the oil in a thin stream until dressing emulsifies.
- Use on your favorite salad greens.
- Good with a bit of crumbled feta added, too!
- Source: Cathy Z at Gail’s Recipe Swap.
I doubled the recipe, used red wine vinegar, used a mixture of honey and sugar instead of all sugar, and replaced some of the veg oil with olive oil. It is wonderful! I was surprised by how sweet it turned out, but it was a good kind of surprise! I also don't have a food processor, so I used a mixer. Pretty messy, but I don't think it spoiled the outcome.
Once again Jules you totally nail a recipe! Congrats!!!! While living in Mexico we made a dressing much like this, but to be honest, yours is superior! T.J.
This dressing was sweet! I added some honey and about three times more papaya seeds and it was wonderful! Next time, I'm going to try it as a chicken marinade.