Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
I've always thought okra is a vegetable that gets a bad rap. It works real well in these muffins. If you are an okra lover like me than you may want to give these a try.
- 2 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 cups thinly sliced fresh okra
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- Add the first 3 ingredients to a mixing bowl; stir to combine.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl, mix together the milk, eggs, oil, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients; stir just until moistened.
- Fold in okra and onion.
- Grease muffin tin; place muffin pan in 400° oven for 5 minutes.
- Quickly spoon or pour batter into muffin pans, fill each cup 2/3 full.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Turn muffins out of pan immediately.
Delicious!!!!!!! Used Jiffy corn bread mix, turned out great. The okra was enough sweet didn't need sugar in recipe. Served with fish. I will make this again.