Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Fresh Fruit Compote with Home-Made Granola
- 300 ml apple juice
- 150 g oats
- 15 g almonds
- 50 g mixed fruit
- 2 apples
- 4 plums
- 75 g sugar
- 200 g raspberries
- 200 g blackberries
- 200 g strawberries
- 6 tablespoons yoghurt
- To make the granola, preheat the oven to 180C/Fan 160C/Gas 4. Line a large baking tray with baking parchment.
- Pour the apple juice into a medium saucepan and bring to the boil. Continue boiling until the liquid has reduced by 2/3, and is syrupy. It's really important to get this bit right, as the apple syrup needs to be thick enough to lightly coat the oats.
- Add the oats and almonds to the pan with the apple syrup and stir until well combined. Tip everything on to the baking tray and spread out thinly. Bake in the centre of the oven for 15 minutes.
- Take the tray out of the oven and scatter the dried fruit over the top. Turn and mix everything with a spatula or spoon and put the tray back in the oven for another 5 minutes or until the oats are crisp and lightly golden. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on the tray, then tip the granola into an airtight tin or jar. This mixture is best eaten within 2 weeks.
- To make the compote, preheat the oven to 190C/Fan 170C/Gas 5. Peel the apples and cut them into quarters. Remove the cores and slice the apples thinly. Put the apples with the plums and half the sugar in a shallow ovenproof dish - a lasagne dish is ideal. Cover loosely with a sheet of foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Take the dish out of the oven and add the whole berry fruits to the dish. Sprinkle with the remaining sugar and toss lightly together. Cover with foil and return to the oven for a further 15 minutes or until the fruit is soft and juicy but still holding its shape - it will continue to cook once you've taken it out of the oven. Leave the compote to cool, then tip it into a bowl and cover with cling film. It will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Serve the compote in bowls, topped with a couple of spoonfuls of the granola and some low-fat yoghurt if you like.