Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is from www.HubertKeller.com and uses puff pastry and Madeira wine sauce rather than the typical heavy cream based sauces usually found in traditional pot pies.
- 1 (3 lb) whole chickens, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 slices bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 cup madeira wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 12 white pearl onions, peeled
- 15 baby carrots, peeled (see note)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, sliced
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Generously season the chicken with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a 3-quart stove-top casserole or sauté pan, cook bacon until almost crispy over medium high heat. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Reserve half of the bacon fat from the pan and add the chicken pieces, skin side down. Sear the chicken over medium high heat 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until light brown.
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Add diced onion, carrot, thyme and garlic. Cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add Madeira wine and bring to a boil.
- Add cooked bacon, chicken stock and chicken pieces.
- Turn heat to low, cover pan and cook 45 minutes at a low simmer.
- While chicken cooks, melt 1 tablespoon butter with sugar in a 10-inch skillet. Add pearl onions and baby carrots, stir to coat, and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Add ¼ cup water, and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pan and let cook for 15 minutes at a low simmer, or until vegetables.
- are tender. Remove and set aside.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in skillet and add shitake mushrooms. Sauté for 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper and add ¼ cup water.
- Cover pan and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until mushrooms are tender.
- When chicken is cooked, remove chicken pieces and place in a 2.5 quart pie dish or low, round casserole.
- Top the chicken with the mushrooms, onions and baby carrots, spreading evenly around the chicken.
- Pour remaining chicken cooking mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into a small saucepan. (The remaining solids are not used in the dish).
- Simmer liquid over medium heat for about 5 minutes, to reduce and thicken. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Pour sauce over pot pie.
- Roll out puff pastry sheet so it is 1 inch larger than the pot pie dish.
- Beat egg yolks with 2 teaspoons of water to make an egg wash.
- Brush the top of the puff pastry sheet with the egg wash. Brush egg wash on brim of chicken dish. Place a piece of puff pastry, egg wash side up, on top of the potpie.
- and press down along the brim of the pan to seal the edges.
- Create a design with a sharp knife by cutting light diagonal lines.
- Place each pot pie on a baking sheet and bake in preheated oven 25 to 30 minutes, or until puff pastry is a deep golden brown.
- Serve with salad.