A nice change from the heavy mayo-dressed potato salads. Some cooked chicken or shrimp could be added for a light one-dish meal. If your household thinks they dislike anchovies, omit them, but be sure to season the dressing well. Adapted from a recipe originally published in The NY Times, June 27, 2012. I steam the eggs, potatoes, and beans separately in a pressure cooker, using the same 2 cups of water for each. The beans take no more than 2 minutes on low pressure, the quartered potatoes take 6 minutes on high, and the eggs take 6 minutes on low.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs medium potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold or Yellow Finn
- salt and pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large thyme, sprig
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed to a paste with a little salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped anchovy
- 1 tablespoon chopped capers
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb small French beans or 1 small romano cheese or 1 small wax bean
- 4 large eggs, hard-cooked
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced chives
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped basil
- 6 -8 anchovy fillets, for garnish (optional)
- 1Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil. Add the potatoes, bay leaf and thyme branch. Cook at a brisk simmer until the potatoes are firm but easily pierced with a skewer, about 30 minutes. Remove and let cool slightly.
- 2While the potatoes are cooking, make the vinaigrette: In a small bowl, stir together the garlic, anchovy, capers, mustard and vinegar. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Whisk again before using if the dressing separates.
- 3When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, remove the skins with a paring knife and carefully cut into pieces 1/4-inch thick, or slightly thicker. Put the slices in a low bowl, season lightly with salt and pepper and add half the vinaigrette. Using your hands, gently coat the potatoes with the vinaigrette, taking care not to break them. Cover and set aside at room temperature.
- 4Top and tail the beans. Simmer in salted water until firm-tender, about 3 to 4 minutes, then cool under running water and pat dry.
- 5To cook the eggs, bring a medium pot of water to a rapid boil. Add the eggs and cook for 8 minutes for a somewhat soft-centered yolk or 9 minutes for a firmer yolk. Cool the eggs immediately in ice water, then crack and peel. Cut each egg in half and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- 6When ready to serve, season the beans with salt and pepper, then dress with the remaining vinaigrette.
- 7Combine the dressed beans and potatoes, using hands to toss, and pile onto a platter. Sprinkle with chives, parsley and basil and arrange the eggs over the top. Garnish with anchovy fillets, if desired.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Potato and Green Bean Salad
Serving Size: 1 (283 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 801.3
- Calories from Fat 228
- Total Fat 25.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 186.0 mg
- Sodium 199.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 113.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 33.9 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 32.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar