Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is from TOH. I haven’t tried them yet, but I am typing it up for ZWT II. Looks like a yummy side dish. 12 servings.
- 2 (8 ounce) cans sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 8 cups frozen peas, thawed
- In a large saucepan, sauté water chestnuts and onion in butter until onion is tender. Stir in the flour, sugar and salt until blended.
- Gradually add milk; stir in peas.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 3-5 minutes or until peas are tender and sauce is slightly thickened.
I thought these were really good peas!! Love the crunch of the water chestnuts!! The combination is really lovely!! Thanks dicentra!!
This is one of those "I would like better IF..." recipes. The parts are there, but I thought the recipe needs adjustments before I would use it again. First, let me say I did reduce the recipe, but I don't know how that would throw things off. I ended up having to make more roux to get the dish to thicken with the amounts I was using. My other suggestion would be to dice the water chestnuts. I found the large pieces attractive, but think the smaller size would be a better fit with peas. I did like the crunchiness they added. I would add red peppers or pimentoes if I was serving this for a special occasion for color. I also added lots of cracked black pepper for personal taste. Thank you for sharing your recipe!