Recipe by AmandaInOz
From the October/November 2007 issue of Vogue Entertaining + Travel. This soup can be made up to three days in advance.
- 150 g unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 kg onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sea salt
- 355 ml alcoholic dry cider
- 1 1⁄2 liters beef stock
- 1 baguette, cut into 12 1cm slices
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 150 g gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and sea salt and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until onions are deep golden.
- Add cider and simmer until reduced by half, then add stock and simmer for 10 minutes. Season with pepper.
- Meanwhile, place bread on a foil-lined tray and cook both sides under a hot grill until dried but not browned. Spread with mustard and top with cheese, then grill until cheese bubbles and browns.
- Serve soup topped with the croûtons and sprigs of thyme.