A bit like French Onion Soup, but a nice garlicky soup, instead! :) The garlic is not at all overwhelming in this delicious soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups half and half milk
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pinch cayenne, to taste
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices crusty French bread
- 1/4 cup soft butter
- 1/3 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 1Remove all the cloves of garlic from the head.
- 2Take a smallish saucepan and heat to boiling a cup of water; add the cloves of garlic and simmer for about 1 minute - drain, peel the garlic (which should be slightly softened and should peel easily) and cut each clove in half.
- 3Add garlic cloves to beef broth in saucepan; cover and simmer 10 minutes, or until garlic is soft.
- 4Remove half of the garlic cloves and reserve.
- 5To the saucepan add the chicken broth, water, wine, half and half, thyme (crush it with your fingers before adding), and cayenne to broth and heat to a low simmer for 5 minutes.
- 6With an immersion blender or in a regular blender, puree the soup; season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper, set aside, and keep warm.
- 7Toast bread on one side under broiler; remove and spread un-toasted sides with butter.
- 8Mash the reserved half of garlic cloves and spread over the un-toasted and buttered sides of bread; sprinkle with shredded Gruyere cheese.
- 9Broil toast until brown and bubbly, about 30 seconds (careful, they can burn easily).
- 10Place a piece of toast in each of the four soup bowls; ladle hot soup over and serve.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Garlic Soup
Serving Size: 1 (462 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 502.8
- Calories from Fat 239
- Total Fat 26.6 g
- Saturated Fat 16.0 g
- Cholesterol 74.1 mg
- Sodium 1043.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 16.0 g