Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This recipe comes from my longtime friend, Dawn. It's a great cool weather meal, great for football games, prepare it and keep it warm in the crockpot.Start this the morning of when you plan to serve it. I'm sure it can be adapted to cooking in the crockpot, maybe 8-10 hours on low. It smells heavenly while it's simmering!This also freezes well.
- Put roast in a heavy pot with a tight fitting lid.
- Add water halfway up meat- don't submerge meat in water.
- Add spices, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat as low as possible and simmer all day, 8-10 hours.
- Check occasionally; do not add additional water unless absolutely necessary.
- When the meat is so tender it is falling apart, and there is only a small amount of liquid left in the pan, it is ready.
- Take two big forks and shred meat into juices in bottom of pot so that the meat will soak up the juices.
- Serve on toasted buns ( rye, pumpernickle, or onion rolls are good!) and top with your favorite mustard or horseradish sauce.
Encore! Encore! Well, that's French isn't it? Made for Bargain Basement.