Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Easy, delicious, one dish meal. Found in the, "Simple 1-2-3 Slow Cooker," Cookbook. Edited on 6/1/09: Removed Cornstarch from recipe and changed white wine to be added at beginning of cooking after reading reviews.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 6 -8 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 to 2 lbs)
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and black pepper
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
- 1⁄3 cup white wine (or 1/3 cup apple juice)
- Place onion, carrots, and celery in slow cooker. Arrange chicken over vegetables. Sprinkle with tarragon, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Pour soup over chicken. Sprinkle with dry onion soup mix and then pour in white wine. Cover; cook on HIGH 3 to 4 hours, stirring once during cooking.
- Serve over rice.
Hi, I'm the originator of this recipe, which won #1 place in a cooking magazine back in 2003. I want to thank you all for your helpful comments, and make a couple of suggestions. Most definitely, slow cookers are cooking hotter these days, and I would change the setting from HIGH to LOW for 3-4 hours. Cooking on high now will definitely dry up the sauce. Also, the magazine editor suggested using apple juice if you don't care for wine. I was not for that, and suggest using low-sodium chicken broth instead. Thanks!
I used chopped fresh tarragon, baby carrots and Chinese Xiaoxing cooking wine and set my 5 quart crock pot to low for 5 hours and left for the day. When I came home it was absolutely wonderful. The vegetables were still a bit crunchy (not at all mushy) and the chicken was perfect. A definite keeper. Thanks!
Came out pretty good but just a bit bland for me. Next time I will try bumping the spices up by adding a chicken boullion cube and some garlic and powders.