Recipe by Virginia Cherry Blossom
Easy, delicious, one dish meal. Found in the, "Simple 1-2-3 Slow Cooker," Cookbook. Edited on 6/1/09: Removed Cornstarch from recipe and changed white wine to be added at beginning of cooking after reading reviews.
Top Review by TeriLindquist
Hi, I'm the originator of this recipe, which won #1 place in a cooking magazine back in 2003. I want to thank you all for your helpful comments, and make a couple of suggestions. Most definitely, slow cookers are cooking hotter these days, and I would change the setting from HIGH to LOW for 3-4 hours. Cooking on high now will definitely dry up the sauce. Also, the magazine editor suggested using apple juice if you don't care for wine. I was not for that, and suggest using low-sodium chicken broth instead. Thanks!
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 6 -8 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 to 2 lbs)
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and black pepper
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
- 1⁄3 cup white wine (or 1/3 cup apple juice)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place onion, carrots, and celery in slow cooker. Arrange chicken over vegetables. Sprinkle with tarragon, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Pour soup over chicken. Sprinkle with dry onion soup mix and then pour in white wine. Cover; cook on HIGH 3 to 4 hours, stirring once during cooking.
- Serve over rice.