Mexicali Chicken (Slow Cooker)
Very easy, yummy, and inexpensive. Found this in the, "Simple 1-2-3 Cookbook." If you want to make the sauce thicker, you can blend 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water until smooth and stir into cooking liquid when the ketchup, cumin, and salt is added. Hope you guys enjoy this one!
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 5mins
- 2 medium green bell peppers (cut into thin strips)
- 1 large onion (quartered and thinly sliced)
- 4 chicken thighs
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa (Chipotle or Picante)
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Put sliced peppers and onions in slow cooker and top with chicken.
- Sprinkle chili powder and oregano over chicken and add salsa.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 2 to 3 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and place in a serving bowl to keep warm.
- Stir ketchup cumin, and salt into mixture in slow cooker. Cook, uncovered, on High 15 minutes or until hot.
- Pour mixture over top of noodles or rice.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
I don't think I will be making this again. My husband said he rather eat the leftover sloppy joes I made for my daughter. It smelled so good cooking all day! It just didn't WOW us! We ate it over white rice. Update: ate the leftovers for lunch. Left out the rice and just ate it with shredded cheese, sirracha , and a dollop of sour cream. Much better!
My whole family LOVED this one! I had to substitute a few things such as red bell peppers and half salsa verde instead of the recommended salsa. The sauce is really just amazing and it makes you want to eat all the chicken with a whole pot full of rice. Definitely one of my favorite crock pot recipes.
Very nice, simple recipe. We enjoyed this on a cool fall evening and served over rice. I used all chicken thighs and followed your directions exactly - I did use the suggested cornstarch to thicken it at the end. I think next time I might even add a chopped jalapeno just to give it that extra bite that my family loves. This made plenty and I've got left overs in the freezer waiting for one of those nights when I don't feel like cooking. Thanks Virgina for a quick, simple and delicious meal.