Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Make this salsa now to enjoy all winter long. Give it as gifts and donate jars to parties. This tasty salsa adds zip to everything from chips to meat loaf to fajitas.
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄3 cup sweet red peppers or 1⁄3 cup green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped*
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 12 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped (about 6 cups)
- 3 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1⁄3 cup lime juice
- 1⁄3 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onion, celery, peppers and garlic in oil for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool completely. Spoon into freezer containers. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months. Stir before serving. Yield: about 6 cups.
- *NOTE: When cutting or seeding hot peppers, use rubber or plastic gloves to protect your hands. Avoid touching your face.