Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a Forbidden rice recipe from Whole Foods Market in New York City. It's their best selling salad
- 2 cups forbidden rice
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 lb roasted diced sweet potato
- 3⁄4 cup diced red pepper
- 3⁄4 cup diced yellow pepper
- 1⁄2 bunch sliced scallion
- Bring rice, water and pinch of salt to a quick bowl, cover and lower heat to a simmer for 30 minutes.
- Let rice sit while you whisk together sesame oil and tamari.
- While rice is still warm toss in the sesame oil and tamari mixture.
- Let cool, then add sweet potatoes, red peppers, yellow peppers, scallions, and salt, pepper to taste.
We enjoyed this dish. I omitted the scallions and plan to reduce the sesame oil to 2 tablespoons the next time I make it. Makes a nice big batch (we are a family of three), so you will have some to share or leftovers. Thanks for the recipe. I have it in frequent rotation at our house.
I love this salad! I buy it all the time from the Whole Foods Market Columbus Circle NYC. THANK YOU!!!!! Now I can make it myself!
Great recipe, lots of flavor and a good mix of ingredients. Highly recommended.