Prawn and Black Rice Salad With Vietnamese Dressing
- Ready In:
4 as a starter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 2 fresh thai birds eye chiles or 2 other red chilies, finely sliced
- 4 cm ginger, approx finely minced (I just chopped the heck out of it)
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
For the Salad
- 250 g nanjing black rice
- 500 g green or raw peeled prawns or 500 g shrimp
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- To make the dressing sauce, simply mix all the ingredients together.
- Cook as per the instructions on the packet.
- Usually 25-30 minutes.
- Poach the prawns for 5 minutes in some simmering salted water to which you have added the juice of half a lemon.
- Cook the prawns until they are JUST cooked through but still very tender.
- Let both the rice and the prawns cool.
- Then give the dressing sauce a quick stir and spoon some over the rice, fork this through.
- Then tumble the prawns on top, spooning a little the remainder of the sauce over.
- Serves 2 as a main dish and 4 as a starter.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Just loved the dressing for this, which in a way really is the recipe. The black rice that chrissy sent me took about 50 mins to cook, but is worth it, really is pretty seeing the black rice and the lovely red prawns together. I actually just bought prawns that had already been cooked, they looked good and I was lazy. Thanks chrissy for a great recipe.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I live on the east coast of Australia. I am a proud descendant of two Aboriginal tribes. <br /><br />I spent my early childhood in Western Queensland and the Northern Territory. My mother was employed as a cook on various cattle and sheep stations. Through my mother I learnt to love and enjoy cooking fresh food. <br /><br />Last September, 2003, I had the pleasure of meeting JenT, Jewelies, their respective DHs and Jewelies? gorgeous daughter who was a treat to meet. One day, I hope I can go to New Zealand to visit JenT?s homeland. <br /><br />I enjoy reading cookbooks for cover to cover. My goal is to cook all the recipes I have collected in my Zaar cookbook.</p>