Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
Decorative cookies for the holiday!!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3⁄4 cup butter, cubed
- 2⁄3 cup honey
- 4 cups sliced almonds
- 1 1⁄2 cups candied red cherries or 1 1⁄2 cups green glazed cherries
- 3⁄4 cup dried currant
- 1 1⁄4 lbs white candy coating
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Gradually add flour and mix well. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Roll dough into an ungreased 15-in.x10 in.x1 inches baking pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 7-9 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cream, butter, and honey. Cook, stirring occasionally, until a candy thermometer reads 246 degrees( firm-ball stage). Remove from the heat; stir in the almonds, cherries and currants. Spread evenly into crust.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or just until filling is set. Cool completely on a wire rack. Refrigerate overnight.
- Remove florentine from pan. With a sharp knife, trim edges of crust; discard the trim.Cut lengthwise into six strips;cut each strip into 16 triangles.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt candy coating; stir until smooth. Dip the short side of each triangle into candy coating; place on wax paper. Drizzle with additional candy coating. Let stand until set. Cover and store in the refrigerator.
A very exclusive club in town served these and they were wonderful. I have tried many other recipes trying to find a match and they were not even in the ball park. This recipe was a hit. The cookie dough on the bottom is soft and does not crumble as easy as others. I used cherry flavored Craisins instead of the candied cherries (simply because I always have them on hand). Make sure you refrigerate overnight. Next day, I turned the pan over onto a cutting board and pressed until it broke loose from the edges. Give it some time to warm up before cutting into bars. I run an Inn and serve these to our guests. The nuts, fruit and sweet buttery caramel taste is amazing.