Recipe by lauralie41
A wonderful way to celebrate Fourth of July and the height of grilling season! The flank steak is seasoned with a rub of brown sugar, salt, cumin and garlic and cooks to a fine smoky-sweetness. The chutney is a classic combination of fruit, spices, vinegar and sugar and adds a summery note. This recipe was adapted from a popular cooking magazine.
Top Review by threeovens
I didn't really love this. I think the chutney, while good, would pair better with pork. I did not care for the steak, it had too strong a cumin flavor and needed salt and pepper.
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs flank steaks, trimmed
- cooking spray
- 2 mangoes, about 1 pound ripe and peeled, cut into quarters
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, thinly vertically sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, fresh
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 cups watermelon, seedless, finely diced about 1/4 pound
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons of fresh mint, chopped
- mint sprig (optional)
- lime wedge (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray the grill with cooking spray and preheat.
- Combine first four ingredients in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle mixture evenly over the steak.
- Place steak on the grill, cook for approximately 8 minutes on each side or until desired degree or doneness.
- Remove from grill and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut the steak diagonally across the grain into thin slices.
- For chutney, grill mango for approximately 4 minutes on each side. Cool and chop, set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Add onion and saute for 4 minutes.
- Add ginger, saute for one minute.
- Add vinegar, 2 tablespoons sugar, juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper, cook 5 minutes or until liquid is evaporated.
- Stir in mango to mixture and cook 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, stir in watermelon, cilantro, and mint.
- Garnish with mint sprigs and lime wedges, serve.