1/1 Photo of Flank Steak With Grilled Mango and Watermelon Chutney
A wonderful way to celebrate Fourth of July and the height of grilling season! The flank steak is seasoned with a rub of brown sugar, salt, cumin and garlic and cooks to a fine smoky-sweetness. The chutney is a classic combination of fruit, spices, vinegar and sugar and adds a summery note. This recipe was adapted from a popular cooking magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 lbs flank steaks, trimmed
- cooking spray
- 2 mangoes, about 1 pound ripe and peeled, cut into quarters
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, thinly vertically sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, fresh
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 cups watermelon, seedless, finely diced about 1/4 pound
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- mint sprig (optional)
- lime wedge (optional)
- 1Spray the grill with cooking spray and preheat.
- 2Combine first four ingredients in a small bowl.
- 3Sprinkle mixture evenly over the steak.
- 4Place steak on the grill, cook for approximately 8 minutes on each side or until desired degree or doneness.
- 5Remove from grill and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 6Cut the steak diagonally across the grain into thin slices.
- 7For chutney, grill mango for approximately 4 minutes on each side. Cool and chop, set aside.
- 8In a small saucepan, heat oil over medium high heat.
- 9Add onion and saute for 4 minutes.
- 10Add ginger, saute for one minute.
- 11Add vinegar, 2 tablespoons sugar, juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper, cook 5 minutes or until liquid is evaporated.
- 12Stir in mango to mixture and cook 1 minute.
- 13Remove from heat, stir in watermelon, cilantro, and mint.
- 14Garnish with mint sprigs and lime wedges, serve.
Browse Our Top Mango Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mango Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flank Steak With Grilled Mango and Watermelon Chutney
Serving Size: 1 (518 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 450.0
- Calories from Fat 142
- Total Fat 15.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 69.7 mg
- Sodium 829.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 31.9 g
- Protein 37.8 g