1/5 Photos of Flan
1 hr 10 mins
Barb Gertz's Note:
My family loves Flan, I usually bake it in a round cake pan, But you can use ramekins. This recipe is NOT a hard as it looks. For best results make Flan a day ahead to let the caramel form a slightly liquefied layer. Time does not include cooling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 2Prepare an ice bath and set aside.
- 3Place eight ramekins in two baking pans lined with kitchen towels or 8-inch round cake pan.
- 4Bring a large pot of water to boil; keep hot until ready to use.
- 5Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat 3/4 cup sugar with the water over medium heat; cook until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes.
- 6Swirl pan occasionally, DO NOT STIR.
- 7Wash down sides of pan with a pastry brush dipped in water to prevent crystals from forming.
- 8Increase heat to medium-high; continue cooking until caramel is amber, about 8 minutes, gently swirling pan to color evenly.
- 9Remove from heat,and immerse bottom in ice bath for 3 seconds to stop cooking.
- 10Dry bottom of pan.
- 11Working quickly, pour about 1 tablespoon into each ramekin; OR pour all into cake pan and swirl to coat bottom evenly; set aside.
- 12In a small saucepan heat milk over medium heat just until bubbles form around edges and milk starts to steam,5 to 6 minutes Turn off heat.
- 13In a large bowl, whisk together yolks, eggs, and remaining 3/4 cup sugar until combined.
- 14Slowly add hot milk whisking constantly.
- 15Pour mixture through a fine sieve into clean bowl; skim off surface foam with a spoon.
- 16Stir in Vanilla, and pour custard into ramekins or cake pan.
- 17Carefully pour the hot water into baking pan until it reaches halfway up the side of ramekin or cake pan.
- 18Bake until center is set when gently touched with finger, 30 to 35 minutes.
- 19Remove from oven transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 20Cover with plastic wrap, and place in refrigerator to chill, at least 6 hours or overnight.
- 21To unmold, run a sharp knife around edges and place a serving plate upside down over the top; invert and gently lift pan to remove.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flan
Serving Size: 1 (168 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 261.4
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 174.9 mg
- Sodium 84.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 37.6 g
- Protein 7.1 g