Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Cuban custard. Got recipe from my grandmother.
- 8 ounces milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can condensed milk
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 5 eggs
- 0.5 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- In small pot mix 1/2 cup sugar and enough water to moisten the sugar.
- Cook sugar water at low heat until caramelized.
- Swirl around pot until all the sides are covered.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients well and pour in it pot with the caramelized sugar, after the sugar has cooled and hardened.
- Cover pot with foil tightly.
- Place pot with ingredients in larger pot and fill larger pot with water 2 inches from the top of the smaller pot.
- Cook at 350 for about 90 minutes.
This recipe was AMAZING!! I have tried many flan recipes and they were not nearly as delicious as this one. Although the first step of caramelizing the sugar had to be redone because you dont need to add water to it. I also made sure to let the cream cheese get to room temperature before whipping. My entire family loved it! Thanks for sharing :)
This was not the texture that I was expecting for Flan. It could have been cook's error (mine) or it came out the way it was supposed to come out, just not what I was expecting, or what I've had in resturants. This was more like cheesecake than Flan, maybe because of the cream cheese. I had a little trouble with the sugar crystalizing (again cook's error), but I was able to fix it by adding more water and cooking it much longer. My Cuban Custards came out beautifully, and it taste good, which is why I have to give it the full 5 stars. I made a couple of different individual sizes. I will make this again when I want Cuban Custard. I like it a lot. Thanks for sharing your family's recipe.
This is the best recipe for flan that I have seen in a long time. I is simple and has no funky ingredients.