Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Another Chatelain's recipe
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
- 1 1⁄4 cups balkan-style plain yogurt (not low fat)
- assorment of fresh berries
- Preheat oven to 425ºF (220ºC).
- Lightly spray or coat a large baking sheet with vegetable oil.
- In a large bowl, using a fork, stir flour with baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Using a pastry blender or your fingers, mix in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle in orange peel.
- Stir in yogurt just until dough can be gathered into a ball.
- Dough will be fairly wet and soft.
- Do not add more flour, as it may toughen biscuits.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Knead gently, only 6 to 8 times.
- Overmixing also toughens dough.
- Pat dough to 1/2-inch (1 cm) thickness, using fanned fingertips to spread it out gently.
- Cut out about 16 biscuits with a 2-inch (5 cm) floured cookie cutter.
- Dip cutter in flour before each cut.
- Spread out on baking sheet.
- Bake in centre of 425ºF (220ºC) oven until tops are golden, from 12-14 mins.
- Remove from oven.
- Cut biscuits in half horizontally.
- Spoon more yogurt over bottom half, if you like.
- Sprinkle with berries.
- Add a sprig of mint, if you wish.
- Biscuits are best eaten day they're baked.