Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 mins
For the fish use tilapia, trout, etc.
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder (try ancho or chipotle)
- salt and pepper
- 4 (1/4 lb) fish fillet, rinsed, patted dry and cut into 8 strips (about 1 pound total)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed
- 1⁄2 medium avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh pico de gallo or 1⁄2 cup salsa verde or 1⁄2 cup picante sauce
- 1 medium lime, cut into 8 wedges
- Combine flour, cornmeal, onion powder and chili powder in a shallow dish. Season fish with salt and pepper; coat fish with flour mixture.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add fish; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned and fish flakes with a fork. Place on a serving platter lined with paper towels is absorb excess grease.
- Place fish in warmed tortillas and top with equal amounts of avocado and pico de gallo. Squeeze a lime wedge over each tortilla.